Propecia (generic name Finasteride) is a powerful drug used for the treatment of men hair loss to increase hair growth and prevent further hair loss. Propecia is a prescription medication and is to be taken orally by men only. Propecia is not licensed for use in women.
Propecia is used for treating male pattern baldness on the vertex (at the top of the head) and the anterior mid-scalp area. Male pattern baldness is a common condition in which men experience thinning of the hair on the scalp which often results in a receding hairline and/or balding on the top of the head. Propecia is licensed for use by men only and should not be used by women or children.
Propecia is developed by Merck pharmaceutical company. The drug is available in tablet form of 1mg dosage strength for men hair loss. You can buy Propecia online or from a pharmacist on prescription only.
About Hair Loss
Losing up to 100 hairs daily is considered normal as these get replaced by new hair naturally. Hair loss process starts if the rate of hair fall increases at an alarming rate. Moreover, if the new hairs that replace the old one come slowly or are thin, it may be onset of hair loss. Male pattern hair loss (male pattern baldness) is the most common cause of hair loss but there could be some other reason behind your hair loss. Discuss your particular hair loss with your doctor before you buy Propecia or begin any other hair loss treatment.
Propecia as Men Hair Loss Treatment Medicine
Propecia has been studied in several tests including a 5 year clinical study to understand its effectiveness in treating men hair loss. The study produced following results:
- 90% of participants saw a visible improvement divided into 48% who saw re-growth of hair and 42% who saw no further hair loss. This is compared to 25% in a placebo control group.fine
- In the first year of the study 86% experienced visibly more hair.
The active ingredient in Propecia is finasteride which belongs to a group of medicines known as 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors. Finasteride prevents the enzyme 5 alpha-reductase from converting testosterone to its active form DHT (dihydrotestosterone) in the body. DHT plays a major role in inherited male pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia). By preventing the production of DHT, finasteride can stimulate hair growth in many men with mild to moderate inherited male pattern baldness.
Propecia (finasteride) is available in 1 mg dosage strength as the standard dosage strength for men hair loss is 1mg Propecia tablet a day. Do not exceed or lower the dose unless your doctor tells you to do so. Please note that taking double dose or increasing Propecia dosage will not yield better results. Taking double dose of finasteride (propecia), may cause you side effects.
Always remember to take the dose same time everyday for best results. Finasteride can be taken without regards to food, if however, you experience stomach problems, take Propecia finasteride with food. In any case, follow your doctors instructions.
If you miss a dose of Propecia medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double dose to avoid side effects.
Propecia Side Effects
Like any other prescription medicine, Propecia too has certain side effects. However, in clinical studies Propecia has shown very few side effects that too very rarely and did not affect most men.
In clinical studies for Propecia, a small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects, such as less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, or a decrease in the amount of semen. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men and went away in men who stopped taking Propecia because of them.
Some other mild and less serious side effects of Propecia include allergic reactions including rash, itching, hives, and swelling of the lips and face, problems with ejaculation, breast tenderness and enlargement, and testicular pain. However, you should report to your doctor if any of these side effects are persistent or bothersome. It is recommended that you should promptly report to your doctor any changes in your breasts such as lumps, pain, or nipple discharge.
- Propecia is for the treatment of hair loss in men only and should not be used by women or children.
- Pregnant women or women who may potentially be pregnant must not handle crushed or broken Propecia tablets because the active ingredient may cause abnormalities of a male baby’s sex organs.
- If a pregnant woman comes into contact with propecia finasteride by mistake, she should immediately wash the area with soap and water and consult a doctor.
- Do not buy Propecia if you are allergic to finasteride or any other ingredient of it or a similar type of medication called dutasteride.
- Always tell your doctor if you have liver disease, or abnormal liver enzymes, prostate cancer, bladder muscle disorder, stricture of urethra, or inability to urinate before you buy Propecia.
- Tell your doctor about all prescription, over-the-counter, herbal medications or supplements that you are taking. Also, let your doctor know if you use caffeine, alcohol, the nicotine from cigarettes, or street drugs as these can affect the action of many medications.
- Men using propecia should not donate blood. Even after you complete the treatment, you should not donate blood for at least 6 months. If your blood is transfused to a pregnant woman, she can have health problems.
- Always buy Propecia made by its original developer, Merck pharmaceutical company only. Do not buy Propecia available in generic forms as the risk of getting fake Propecia increases a lot.
- Propecia can only work over the long term if you continue taking it. If you stop taking Propecia, you will likely lose any hair you have gained within 12 months of stopping treatment.
- The use of Propecia has not been studied in elderly men with male pattern baldness.